Universal Credit is a new type of benefit for people looking for work or who have a low income.
What is it?
Universal Credit is a new type of benefit for people looking for work or who have low income. It is being introduced in stages and replaces the following benefits:
- Housing Benefit
- Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income Support
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Child and Working Tax Credits
How to make a claim and use your online Universal Credit account
Things to know:
- UC is replacing 6 other common benefits
- A claim for UC will stop any payments for the benefits it replaces
- You will have to wait around 5/6 weeks for your first payment
- UC is paid in one lump sum per month
- Help with rent is included as part of UC – so you are responsible for paying your rent yourself
- You need access to the Internet and a valid email address to make and manage your claim
- You need a bank account to receive payment
A credit union account can help you manage your household budget if you think you will struggle to manage monthly payments, including your rent.
We have links with Bedford Credit Union. For more information see our Credit Union page. LINK